LAYSA is always looking for youth soccer referees for our house and travel soccer programs. In order to referee, you need to take and pass a referee course put on by the state organization. You must be at least 14 in order to take the course.
NEW REFEREE CLINIC 2021
LAYSA will be hosting a 2 day clinic for NEW referees on June 4, 6:00 – 9:00 PM & June 5, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at the Lewiston High School – Green Ladle, 156 East Ave Lewiston. You must first register as a “new user” at https://mainerefs.gameofficials.net and then go to courses and register for the 2021 L/A Grassroots course. The cost is $115.00 and you must be age 14 by June 4.
RECERTIFICATION CLINICS 2021
The final recertification classes have been scheduled for May 23 from 9:00-11:00 AM. You must register for the course on the game officials website, https://mainerefs.gameofficials.net. Go to courses then 2021 Grassroots Recert #9. This recertification class will be done by zoom and will feature the new rules for 2021 and a review of last year’s rules. Once again Mike Pullen will be conducting the zoom class and will use the material and videos from IFAB. This will be a two-hour class.
Please remember that all referees must attend a yearly recertification class.
If you have a 2021 patch you still need to attend a recert class to learn the new rules. However, there is no charge to take the class. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing the zoom link and additional information.
THE MAINE SOCCER REFEREE ASSOCIATION IN CONJUNTION WITH USSF IS WAIVING REGISTRATION FEES FOR THE 2021 YEAR, IF YOU WERE REGISTERED FOR 2020 IN MAINE. Therefore you register on the site which has the numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; ex: Regional recert #1. This is the FREE site.
IF YOU WERE NOT REGISTERED FOR 2020 IN MAINE, YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY THE REGISTRATION FEE. Therefore, you register on the site that has the letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I. ex: Regional recert A. You will need to pay the appropriate fee.
The remaining clinics will cover the same material and are posted on Game Officials as “Grassroots
Recerts”. The dates for these clinics are:
March 1, 9, 18, 24, 28 April 3rd May 23rd is the last recert
You will need to complete the following requirements to be recertified for 2021.
- Sign up on GAME OFFICIALS on the site and date that is correct for you.
- Please check your address, email, and cell phone information and make any corrections.
- Fill out the KIDS SAFE section. This is the free background check on Game Officials. Anyone who is turning 18 in 2021 or is older than 18 years, MUST fill out the Kids Safe form. This is your background check. Anyone 14 to 17 years old does not need to fill this form out.
- Go to the SAFE SPORT Site and complete the free training.
- The SafeSport training is available here: https://learning.ussoccer.com/referee/courses/available/21/details/905
- Use the following access code YC3E-6P5G-YYIL-CS2M if you need it for ussoccer
iii. Save a copy of your certificate and email it to me ASAP.
- Anyone who is turning 18 in 2021 or is older than 18 years, must do the Safe Sport training. Anyone 14 to 17 years old does not need to do this training.
- If you have a SafeSport certificate from another organization that is current, please email it to me. The training is the same, but I am not sure that you would be on the USSF list.
- ATTEND THE WHOLE TWO HOUR RECERT ZOOM CLASS. The zoom link will be sent to you once you register on Game Officials.
Once you complete the requirements and attend the entire zoom class, we will register you for 2021 and we will mail you your patch and Velcro. Please complete the requirements (#1 to 4) before taking the class. Those that have not completed the requirements will not be recertified until I have all the information as outlined above.
GRADE 9 REFEREE INFORMATION
If you are a 2020 grade 9 referee then please attend the grade 8 upgrade class (same cost as the re cert, $70.00). However, if you take the grade 8 upgrade class before June 1st, you will have to pay $70.00 for the class. If you take the 2022 Grade 8 upgrade class after June 1st, you still pay $70.00 and your 2022 re cert is free.
The USSF year runs July 1st to June 30th. This year we would like to have all grade 9 referees upgrade to a grade 8 or center referee. USSF has eliminated the grade 9 classification and therefore all referees must be certified to be an assistant referee and center referee. We will not be offering any more grade 9 classes. Remember, if you do not want to do centers, then just let your assignor know and they will assign you as assistant referees only, your choice.
If you have any questions, please email me.
Here is the link to this year’s law change presentation: https://theifab.com/presentation-of-ifab-log-2020-21/
Contact David Staszak at 713-2584 or email email@example.com if you are interested in becoming a LAYSA referee